Centro Piacentiniano #1 - Before The Works
The building complex designed by the architect Marcello Piacentini is considered the living room of Bergamo. As well as being the heart of the mall for walking and shopping. Cultural and social events have always animated the area adjacent to the Donizetti Theater and the headquarters of the most important commercial activities.
The Centro Piacentiniano was conceived between 1912 and 1927 by the architects Piacentini and Angelini with the aim of creating the Directional Center in the heart of the city of Bergamo: the Palace of Justice, the Bank of Italy and the Chamber of Commerce. In this area the city fairs once passed and the use was therefore limited to the duration of these events which are not only traders and exhibitors of the city but also from the nearby valleys and from the plain.
From the beginning of the twentieth century it was thought that this part of the city was being rearranged, but the projects that followed did not find any application as long as, during the fascist period, the architect Marcello Piacentini (1881-1960), one of the most active in that period. The works were carried out from 1922 to 1927 and the current appearance died at the city center.
Today it is a fact, the Centro Piacentiniano is considered a decisive economic hub of the city of Lower Bergamo. On the old complex of the Fair, a distance of centuries, you can find Piazza Vittorio Veneto, a crossroads for thousands of tourists and residents but also the most hidden and peaceful Piazza Dante. In addition to important banking offices, the Court and the Chamber of Commerce can also find the Torre dei Caduti and the Quadriprotico del Sentierone.
Following a European call for tenders, several site redevelopment projects were evaluated: this area will soon undergo several interventions.
The images of this project are the first chapter of a sort of trilogy: the place as it was, the time of the works, the place in its new conformation.